AFC's COVID-19 and Coronavirus Response
These policies will be continually updated as USA Fencing and the United States and local governments evolve standard operating procedures for businesses, and especially sports facilities. The knowledge and circumstances around COVID-19 are changing constantly and, as such, Austin Fencers Club makes no representation and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this information. You should seek advice from medical professionals and/or public health officials if you have specific questions about your return to training and competition.
Everyone entering the AFC facility must complete the AFC COVID-19 questionnaire. including fencers, coaches, and parents bringing fencers to training who plan to stay in the facility during practice. You fill out a digital questionnaire, or download the PDF, scan/photograph your completed questionnaire and email it to AFC.
IMPORTANT: AFC's return to fencing is based on guidance from USA Fencing, the CDC, the State of Texas, and the City of Austin. Our goal is to provide a safe and measured plan for returning to indoor training. As such, this schedule is subject to change.
- Virtual classes discontinued.
- Scheduled small-group training groups in the gym. Fencers returning to training after our COVID-19 hold must resume regular membership
- NEW FENCERS - see our trial lessons and information for new members. Youth beginner classes are offered on Tues & Thurs from 5-6 p.m.
- Returning fencers:
- Memberships will be changing from a fixed day format (such as Tu/Th 630-730) to an open reservation format (reserve the days you want)
- Combined classes for all fencers from 6:00-7:30 Mon-Thurs
- Open fencing sessions for all fencers from 7:30-9:00 Mon-Thurs
- Fencers reserve a spot in both the class and open fencing sessions for days you will attend. You can choose to attend both class & open fencing on the same day, or either session separately, to accommodate your schedule. You will receive a detailed email from AFC with more specifics in August
- AFC may, at our Board and coaches' discretion, add additional training sessions if there is sufficient demand.
Procedures for entering and exiting the facility
Fencers and parents/guardians entering the gym follow these protocols:
- Incoming fencers and parents come in through the front door as usual.
- Do not wait or loiter in lobby; stay in your car or outside/distanced until it’s time for your class to start.
- Fencers exiting the gym go out the back door, which is downstairs behind stage.
- Parents are encouraged to NOT stay in the building during training; if you don't feel comfortable not being present during class, please go directly upstairs to the mezzanine rather than spending time in the lobby.
- Parents are expected to observe city- and state-recommended social distancing in the seating area. If there is no seating available, the parent should exit the mezzanine and wait for their fencer in their car or offsite.
- Spray disinfectant and cloths are provided in the mezzanine. Parents should spray and wipe down their seat before leaving.
- Parents leaving the mezzanine go downstairs to the basement level, cross under the gym, and exit by the back door.
Code of conduct in the gym
Everyone entering the facility must observe these protocols:
- AFC has temporarily suspended loaning club masks to fencers. Fencers who do not yet own their own masks: it's time to buy one. Check our Equipment Guide for details.
- Everyone entering the facility must wear a protective face mask that covers the nose and mouth, and can be worn underneath their fencing mask. Athletes will be required to wear cloth face masks underneath their fencing mask.
AFC-logo cloth facemasks are available here.
- Persons not already fencers or family members at AFC are not allowed inside the facility. Only ONE adult family member or guardian is allowed inside the facility to accompany a minor fencer.
- Anyone who feels unwell should not come to practice. If a student complains of any symptoms, they will be sent home immediately.
- Parents, do not bring children who are not participating in a training session or lesson to the club. Fencer's siblings will be required to remain outside of the facility.
- Students should bring their own filled water bottle(s); do not refill water bottles at the club. No water bottles, cups or other trash should be left at the club. Label your water bottle to make sure someone else doesn't pick it up accidentally.
- Encourage your children and family member to constantly wash their hands with soap and water after handling any club equipment and before/after practice, and to not touch their face (eyes, nose or mouth).
- Anyone using chairs or tables should wipe these down with disinfectant wipes just before they leave. Remember, you may be asymptomatic and still transmit the virus to others.
- Fencers are strongly encouraged to bring a personal-sized bottle of hand sanitizer to use throughout practice. Label your fencer's item to make sure it does not accidentally change hands.